Long range, high capacity, and low latency private wireless with Ethernet connectivity
SecureMesh WAN for Better Reliability and Operational Efficiency
The Trilliant SecureMesh WAN, part of the Trilliant Communications Platform, is a broadband mesh network built specifically for utilities that provides the reliability, bandwidth and low latency necessary for advanced Smart Distribution applications such as Volt/VAR control, fault detection, isolation and restoration (FDIR), and other real-time smart distribution applications.
SecureMesh WAN uniquely addresses utility communications needs:
- Utility-Grade Reliability and Redundancy
- Trilliant’s SecureMesh WAN is built on the company’s award-winning mesh technology, which is inherently redundant and reliable. The system features integrated dynamic routing and near-immediate failover to ensure uninterrupted communications.
- Trilliant’s UnitySuite™ Network Element Management System (NEMS), which provides a single platform for managing both AMI and WAN deployments, simplifies smart grid communications for utilities and enables economic, reliable, and real-time network management.
- Industry-Leading Latency and Bandwidth
- Extending our lead in speed, Trilliant has further reduced the latency of SecureMesh WAN in the 1100 Series, cutting its already impressive time per hop down to less than 7 milliseconds, and thereby supporting the most demanding distribution automation applications.
- With 20 Mbps per second throughput, the newly-enhanced 1100 Series supports orders of magnitude more capacity than mesh networks traditionally used for AMI.
- New application domain partitioning functionality allows utilities to segment applications from each other to uniquely satisfy each application’s specific Quality of Service (QoS) needs.
- Integrated, End-to-End Security
- End-to-end safeguards across multiple layers of the OSI stack ensure that the SecureMesh WAN network remains private and secure.
- The SecureMesh WAN is compliant with the latest industry security standards, including the North American Electric Reliability Corporation’s Critical Infrastructure Protection reliability standard (NERC/CIP) and is consistent with the requirements of NISTIR 7628, NIST SP 800-53, and FIPS 140-2.
- SecureMesh WAN supports virtual private network (VPN) and Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) capabilities to enable safe and controlled access of the network.
- Application domain partitioning available on the SecureMesh WAN includes standards-based 802.1q VLAN tagging of network traffic, which ensures that access to or a breach of one application does not affect other applications or devices.
- SecureMesh WAN supports node-by-node two-way authentication using a Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) with x509-like signed certificates and the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES-128) encryption.
- Low-Cost Territory Coverage
- The SecureMesh WAN 1100 Series now supports up to 12 mesh hops, allowing utilities to cover up to 10,000 square miles of territory with a single network takeout point. This reduces the cost to cover large service territories for all utilities.
- The SecureMesh WAN network automatically circumvents barriers, routing around large buildings, mountains, RF interference, and other obstacles, ensuring both low-cost deployment and long-term reliability.
- The Trilliant SecureMesh WAN now supports secure remote management of the entire WAN network including SSH telnet capability to remote devices.
- Expanded Interoperability
- SecureMesh WAN is built on an open, interoperable IP platform, supporting both legacy IPv4 and future IPv6 protocols
- SecureMesh WAN is compatible with a wide variety of legacy devices and can seamlessly work with a wide range of existing distribution assets
- SecureMesh WAN has proven interoperability with devices made by ABB, Cooper, GE, Schneider Electric and Siemens, among others
- SecureMesh WAN supports key utility industry standards, including DNP3 and IEC 61850.
- SecureMesh WAN and the broader Trilliant Communications Platform can also flexibly adapt to meet future standards as they evolve.
Part of the Trilliant Communications Platform, the SecureMesh WAN is a smart investment for utilities that must make prudent decisions today while keeping an eye on future smart grid opportunities. The Trilliant Communications Platform, including the SecureMesh WAN, will allow utilities to eventually manage all smart grid applications – Smart Distribution, Smart Metering, and Smart Consumer — on a single, unified network.
Network components include:
- SecureMesh WAN Gateway - WAN base station and “take-out point” that provides capacity injection
- SecureMesh WAN Extender - WAN mesh node that extends coverage from a Gateway to other Extenders and Connectors
- SecureMesh WAN Connector - WAN endpoints that provide standard Ethernet connectivity to devices